Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Still sleep deprived

I have spent a lot of time in the back of taxis heading into the Shanghai suburbs for meetings. They're pretty cheap. A 30-40 minute ride will set you back about 120 RMB, or $17. When you get in the taxi a recorded voice welcomes you and tells you to fasten your seat belt. I've been in a dozen cabs now, and not one of them had seatbelts that worked. It's the thought that counts.

After getting back to my hotel I went out for a bite to eat (a bit bowl of wonton soup and spicy chicken & noodles for 15 RMB or $2) and a stroll around. There's supposed to be a huge market nearby that I've been looking for. I feel the urge to get fleeced by professional hagglers.

It’s Thursday at 6 am and though I've been here for almost a week, my sleeping pattern is still messed up. I've been up since 4 am.

I'll post a few more pics. I saw my first traffic accident last evening. Despite the zaniness of the drivers here, collisions must be rare, because this one involving scooters (I think) attracted dozens of people who crammed in to hear the guy in the red shirt scream at this poor cop. I love the look on his face as he's talking on his phone.

The other pics are just street shots from around the area. One street can be teeming with bicyclists, the next a sea of cars.





No comments: